Welcome to Minehead - Local Information
Minehead has the best of seaside and countryside locations. Set at the edge of scenic Exmoor, yet on the coast, it is the official start of the South West Coast Path and the West Somerset Coast Path. Our picturesque harbour with its RNLI station and shop, also hosts summer pleasure boat cruises on the paddle steamer Waverley and motor vessel Balmoral. Anglers can book trips on the coastal fishing boats too. Also on the quay is the sailor´s church, St Peters on the Quay, which started life as a store in the 1600´s and converted to a chapel in the early 1900´s. The promenade with its cafés, bars and shops offers access to the sandy beach and spectacular views across to North Hill.
West Somerset Steam Railway station is located across from the promenade, offering a wide variety of day trips on the beautifully restored railway engines and carriages, visiting picturesque stations as it winds its way through the countryside. Blenheim Gardens are a two minute walk from the seafront, and offer beautiful gardens open all year with a bandstand and wide variety of free entertainment during the summer months. There is also a café and a putting green.
The Avenue leads up from the seafront, incorporating a variety of shops, bars and restaurants. Also located here is the Regal Theatre, offering a year round variety of entertainment.
St Michael´s Church, built in the 14th/15th century, is situated on the lower slopes of North Hill, and can be accessed via the road or the beautiful Church Steps, which is a footpath between thatched cottages, affording spectacular views across the town.
Minehead is the Northern Gateway to Exmoor and the area´s largest town. It is ideally situated to explore the beauty of Exmoor and the Quantock Hills, which is the reason why many visitors return year after year.
At Leisure in Minehead - Things to Do
Minehead and Exmoor are rich in activities and events. Here are just a few of them and some useful web links for you to enjoy your stay with us.
- Farmers Market every Friday in The Avenue, Minehead
- West Somerset Railway, The Seafront
- Regal Theatre, The Avenue, Minehead
- Minehead Eye-Mart Road, Minehead
- Golf Course- Warren Road, Minehead
- I.Golf - The Avenue, Minehead
- Tennis Courts- Irnham Road, Minehead
- Bowls- Minehead Bowling Club, Irnham Road 01643704451
- Football- Minehead AFC, Irnham Rd, Minehead
- Cycle Hire- Pompey´s Mart Road; Exmoor Cycle Hire
- Exmoor Cycle Hire - Parkhouse Road, Minehead
- Fly Fishing Wimbleball
- Fly Fishing Hawkridge/Clatworthy
- Swimming - As a day visitor in Butlins and Blue Anchor Caravan Park ( for young children)
- Cinema- Butlins Main Gate- Information Line 01643 705315
- Leisure Centre- West Somerset Sports and Leisure Centre
Bircham Road, Minehead
- Riding Stables- Burrowhayes Farm, Porlock 01643 862463;
Horner Farm, Porlock 01643 862456
Huntscott House, Wootton Courtney 01643 841272
Exmoor Activities - please consult the following sites:
- Active Exmoor
- Exmoor Adventures
- Exmoor Canoe Club
Minehead Visitor Centre can give you further information on all the above and more.
You can contact them either by ringing 01643 702624 contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or visit website: www.visit-exmoor.co.uk